Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, January 14, 2013

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: January 14, 2013                        pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford


Psalm 91:1
“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”

A LIVE CONNECTION
We have all made some goals for 2013 and I am no different. This year I am hopeful in my desire to go deeper into the contextual understanding of the Word of God. I have some new things planned to accomplish my goals and I am really excited to see how God meets me in the classroom. Before I tackle the work, I believe it is critical that I “dwell” in the wisdom of my teacher.      

In my opinion there is nothing more valuable than being connected to God through a personal relationship. What does this mean, personal relationship? I believe it simply indicates that we know one another, we’re not strangers. Although I have some pretty great human relationships; I can’t say there is anyone on this earth that is there for me every moment of every day, it’s just not possible.

Our Heavenly Father desires to also be in communication with us outside of our Sunday morning services. He is also accessible Monday through Friday 24/7.  Although I love my Bible reading and study time; nothing compares to the moments when I feel the presence of God through intimate prayer. Prayer to me is relational communication where I come before Him expecting to feel His presence. When I say prayer I don’t mean just any prayer. I don’t mean the prayers I have learned to recite. No, I mean a conversation where I come bare before God and He responds by teaching, correcting, and yes at times, rebuking me (2 Timothy 3:16). Prayer is not just about asking God for something, it’s about allowing God to enter whatever you lay before Him. Over the years I have been blessed to recognize these God-moments by the goose bumps that rise up on my skin.

Although I have a clear responsibility in this relationship, it’s not really going to be about what I say or do for God. Today was one of those days where clarity hit me straight between the eyes. In the Gospel of Matthew chapter 7, Jesus is teaching about building on a solid foundation and He gives the disciples a very clear warning that we should not overlook in verse 22-23. It is evident in this passage that Jesus is more concerned with our actions over our religious practices or what we have to say. Jesus desires that we do the right thing not just say the right thing. Doing the right thing as it pertains to a relationship with Christ would be to make Him a priority and to determine to obey what He shows us along the way. This gal has much left to learn and I have made many mistakes on the journey. However, I praise God that a personal relationship with Him has resulted in a covering of grace, mercy and unconditional love. Being in relationship with God offers us the opportunity to learn from the very best. It also ensures that we receive the power that is necessary to correct that which needs adjusting.

The good news is that the gift of “personal relationship” is available to anyone who desires to receive it. Let’s start off this New Year with some new building materials. Let’s work to make sure our Creator receives back that of which He created in the condition that He created it (Genesis 1:25). Be blessed.

Matthew 7:24-27
“Anyone who listens to my teaching and obeys me is wise, like a person who builds a house on a solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against the house, it won’t collapse, because it is built on rock. But anyone who hears my teaching and ignores it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against the house, it will fall with a mighty crash.”

Today’s prayer:
Heavenly Father we thank you for this day. We thank you for the gift of life. May today be a day of opportunity for each of us to draw near to you through the teachings of Jesus Christ? When You came to this earth in the form of man, You knew that the cross would be necessary to make a way of escape for our sin nature. Help us to learn to live so closely connected to You that we no longer desire to bring sadness to your heart. Teach us Your ways O’ Lord and lead us in the way that brings us into your eternal presence. Let us not be deceived into thinking there is any other way. You are the way, the truth and the life and Your Word says clearly that no one can by-pass Your Son Jesus
(John 14:6). In Your Son’s precious name we offer this prayer. Amen.


Reflection Songs:
Hold Me by Jamie Grace

When I’m With You by Jamie Grace

No comments: