Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: November 12, 2012                              pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford

Matthew 11:28-30
"Then Jesus said, "Come to me all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."

Like many of you I struggle with finding rest within my burdens. The past few weeks have challenged my faith in areas that I haven't yet been required to explore. Thankfully I have been blessed to learn, and I will not waiver from the truth, that the only way we make it safely through adversity and disappointment is by staying tightly connected to the best power source available to mankind. In the above passage Jesus is offering us an alternative to Satan's schemes of discouragement, despair, and defeat. "The rest that Jesus promises is love, healing, and peace with God, not the end of all labor. A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil into spiritual productivity and purpose"(LASB).

Spiritual attacks are a common occurrence in the life of a believer and they come in many forms. We would be wise to remain on guard and to recognize disappointment and adversity for what it is. If Satan can get us to doubt the goodness of God in our circumstance then he has us right where he wants us. A "fool" walks away from that which he is unwilling to work at. I am confident in this statement because I have been that fool and the end result has never been rest.

Faith is not just a word or something we associate with religious doctrine. No, faith is an outward expression of obedience within that of which we cannot see (Hebrews 11:1). I have included an article by Jon Walker titled Show Your Faith by Obedience to help us better understand our responsibility within this thing we refer to as faith. Although we cannot see or touch God we can know Him through His Word. I believe it will be the very thing that helps us rise above the temptations and challenges of this world.  I pray to be blessed by the instructions of the Master. I cannot cower from what God reveals, and what a privilege it is to ask God to help anyone in need of His kind of rest and revelation  God loves to hear from us. He gave us His Son to learn from and praise God that the Holy Spirit is available to anyone seeking rest. Be blessed through your relationship with the Father and I encourage you to share your love for Him with others.

“Walk with me and work with me — watch how I do it. Learn the 
unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting 
on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and 
lightly.” (Matthew 11:29-30 MSG)

Jesus calls us to a level of intimacy that can only be sustained by his
constant presence in our lives. He says, “Walk with me and work with 
me — watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace” 
(Matthew 11:29-30 MSG). 

Jesus is real, and so our response to him must be real. In other words, 
we can’t just say we have faith; we must show our faith by doing what 
God tells us to do. Deitrich Bonhoeffer, an influential theologian who was 
martyred under the Nazi regime, says, “For faith is only real when there 
is obedience, never without it, and faith only becomes faith in the act of 
obedience.”

But taking a step in and of itself doesn’t mean we obey Jesus. He is very
specific in what he tells us to do. He doesn’t say “Follow some general 
biblical principles” or “Submit yourself to a certain doctrine.” Jesus 
doesn’t present a plan for positive thinking or suggest seven simple steps 
to becoming his disciple. Jesus says, “Follow me,” and we do just that. 
Bonhoeffer also says, “Discipleship without Jesus Christ is a way of our 
own choos­ing. Even if our choice leads us to martyrdom, it is devoid of 
promise and Jesus will certainly reject it.”

Bonhoeffer notes we can never follow an idea in personal obedience.
“Christianity without the liv­ing Christ is inevitably Christianity without
discipleship; Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without 
Christ.” “It remains an abstract idea,” says Bonhoeffer, “a myth which has 
a place for the Fatherhood of God, but omits Christ as the living Son. And 
a Christianity of that kind is nothing more or less than the end of 
discipleship. In such a religion there is trust in God, but no following of 
Christ.”

Talk About It
  • What does a faith that is real look like?
  • What step of faith is Jesus telling you to take but on which you                        have hesitated to act? Focus on obedience to his command                            and not on what may or may not happen once you’ve taken                             the step.


While I'm Waiting by John Waller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3b2jw1rjBc


In Christ by grace,
Pam








No comments: