Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, August 27, 2012

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: August 27, 2012
Sharing by: Pam Crawford                                          pmcrawford1@gmail.com

Matthew 6:26-27
“Look at the birds. They don’t need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your Heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are. Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not.”

LET’S FLY
This summer I was blessed to watch two separate Robins nest inside my gazebo area on my deck. I have been told that it was probably the same bird with her second litter, but I have no idea if that’s accurate because I’m not that bird savvy.

For whatever reason, this year I paid attention to the birthing process every step of the way. I watched and photographed her from the point of protecting her eggs inside the nest, to the point that she was instructing them that it was about time to fly out. It was so cool and I was blessed to actually catch one of them on the day of flight.

Nesting
Instructing


I had no idea the lessons these birds would teach me. These little creatures which fly around our earth so freely definitely have a story to tell, just like you and I have. The process of birth is very similar to that of human beings. These little creatures were formed in their mother’s womb and after they were born they instantly began to look to her for love, guidance, protection and nurturing. And when the time came for them to begin life beyond a nest, they were ready. They were prepared well. I don’t want you to miss that everyday their father was there to assist mama bird. I often saw him perched nearby making sure everything was going well. Both mother and father had one thing in mind and that was to help those little birds develop and learn to fly freely around this earth. I am really grateful that I stopped long enough to watch the process. 



This week many parents are doing or preparing to do the very same thing as my feathered friends. Whether it’s waving to their kindergartner getting on the bus for the first time, or saying their goodbye’s at a college dorm room, it’s a difficult transition. I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I reflect back on those days in my own life. As my babies were taking off on their journey out into the great unknown; God began to teach me a very important lesson,one that reminded me that He is well equipped to take it from here. All along He has been providing exactly what we have needed for our children while they were safely in our nest. Now it was time that we let them fly with the assured confidence that He will be with them every step of the way. It was time to let go of worry, but is that possible? Mama Robin provides the answer.

As Mama feeds her little one for one last time on my deck, it appears that the time is near. What came next is something we can all benefit from so please don't miss this. As the last bird was taking flight, I got to watch the mother and father bird watching from the distance; one on my deck rail and the other from our willow tree. When the young Robin took flight I expected that they would follow behind to make sure it was ok, but the opposite occurred. The parents flew off in another direction. What!  I thought what are they doing?  Are they not going to fly behind it to make sure it’s ok, that it got to its destination safely? Then it hit me, they trusted their work was finished and now it was time to let go and get on with life.


If you are not familiar with the Creator of heaven and earth you may struggle with this a bit. However, if you know the God of the Bible, then you understand that these children belong to Him. In the nest we have a responsibility to teach our children about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. We are to help instill morals and values that line up with the teachings of the Most High. We do this by example and by instruction. Although I did not do this perfectly, my confidence is now in the One who will guide, protect, comfort and correct my children every step of their journey. Like the Robin I am now watching from a distance while I entrust them into the hands of someone greater than me.  And when I am called upon, I will be available to continue to help them along on their journey.

Moms and dads this season can be a time of celebration, we can enjoy it. It took me awhile to get this, but today I now understand what is spoken in chapter 3 verses 5b of Ecclesiastes. “A time to embrace and a time to turn away.” God has a plan for all people. He planned your life and He has a plan for your children and it includes them maturing both physically and spiritually. As parents we can pray that our children will grasp God’s plan so that it will go well for them. If they choose a different route, we can pray that God will get them back on course. But worry, that would be a waste of time and energy. The secret to peace is to trust wholeheartedly that God is in control and now you and me can let go.  Let’s fly in the right direction and experience God’s very best in our own lives. As guardians of God's children we can confidently release them when the time comes and watch them soar. Be blessed.

In Christ by grace,
Pam

For further encouragement on this subject please read the following from my friend Shelby who just experienced the release of her first of 3 to fly her nest. It’s a great read. http://www.gilgalmoments.com/2012/08/when-god-lets-go-and-we-give-back/marriage/

Psalm 121:3
"He who keeps you will not slumber."

Because God never sleeps, we can be at peace. He is always on duty.





























No comments: