Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, May 7, 2012

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print

Romans 8:28
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV)

Romans 8:37 
“No, in all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”  (NIV)

TRUE IDENTITY
I once read that over 42 percent of women believe that they are not worth anything.This lie has most-likely plagued the hearts of these women from the time they were little girls. I can definitely relate to being a part of that statistic. As a very young girl I often wrestled with feelings of worthlessness as a result of believing things that I had heard from others. Unfortunately, I allowed their words and their actions to affect how I saw myself well into adulthood.  I imagine I am not alone in this and I pray you will be blessed by this writing.

God has had me in a transitional period for about ten years now. A transition is the place we go through when we are coming out of something and heading into something else. I imagine you can relate to going through some transitions of your own. I realize today that God has brought me out of many things in order to bring me in to His plan and purpose for my life. This is very exciting to me!

Please don't take this as a statement of arrogance, but I am no longer what I believed I was. No, I am so much more! The Word of God tells us that we have been created by Father God.  If you check out Psalm 139 you will find references to God’s creation. There are words referenced there that tell us we are His “masterpiece” and that we are “wonderfully made.”  Is this how you see yourself? May I ask you to take just a moment to be honest; it truly is the beginning to something beautiful.

Having the courage and humility to look into God’s mirror will hopefully bring about a reflection of 100% light. This is important in order to get to a place where we can see our uniqueness, our gifts and the God-given talents birthed within us. It will also show us our blemishes and the weaknesses we have struggled with so that God can begin to heal them. 

There came a time in my life when I had to learn to redefine the word “beauty” in order to transition from the words and opinions of others. I have to be absolutely honest here; I still battle my outer shell. I often still wish that I had more height, that I would conquer my weight battles, that my face would have less wear and tear, and that someone might pick me first on their team. However, when I put this all into proper perspective, I realize that my outer shell does not reflect the “real me.” In fact, it’s not about how I look physically, or what I can or can not do. It's about becoming what God created me to be and that dear friends is not found in a silly mirror. 

In the end it’s going to be about the heart. There will never be enough airbrushing to help us cover up our imperfections, but there was enough blood at Calvary to bring about beauty to that of which Satan intends to destroy.  I think this piece from Dr. Richard Fratianne in an article titled ‘From Cinders to Butterflies” might help bring this lesson home for us. He writes “Look for the real you; come face to face with all that you are. We are told we are created “in His Image and Likeness.” I believe it is the other way around. We have been created to Image (reflect) His Likeness. Let me repeat that statement….We have been created to Image His Likeness!  If you are troubled by past indiscretions (sins) and feel unworthy, remember that the one among us who has sinned the most knows the power of God’s forgiveness the best. Look intently!...You will see God reflected back, always…calling us to be more complete in our dignity, our self-esteem and happiness. I have come to believe that it is His Presence, alive in every one of us, which is the source and the secret of our spiritual journeys. His Spirit, alive in us, is the most powerful force in all creation.”

It really is not about our outward beauty; it’s about what we’re willing to allow God to do inside of us that will reflect Him to others. I have a lot of exfoliating to do and I do this best when I am in the Word of God and on my knees in prayer.

The Refiner’s fire has been necessary to see myself in a new light. Inside the fire I have had to be willing to shed things such as insecurity, self-condemnation, self-hatred, pride, jealousy, bitterness, anger, resentment, unforgiveness and the desire to be in control of everything. I have to tell you that today I am finally realizing that God’s heat is the "healing agent" of becoming a stronger, better me. Next week I’ll share a poem that God helped me write during a time of being in the refiner’s fire. I hope you’ll watch for it next week and I suggest spending some time in prayer this week simply asking God to help you see yourself from His view. There I can promise that you will find a treasure.

You are beautiful.
You matter.
You have value.
You were created for a purpose.
God loves you and you are His princess.

Will you let this in?   

In Christ by grace,
Pam


The Real Me by Natalie Grant


 EXPLORE DEEPER:
You’re a Masterpiece in the Making by Chip Ingram




No comments: