Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, October 31, 2011

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: October 31, 2011                                        pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford

Mark 11:23
For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, “Be removed and be cast into the sea,” and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he shall be done, he will have whatever he says. (NKJV)

Last week I shared with you that I was back in review of a resource titled 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues. I told you that this is a book that I kept in the forefront of my library because I personally need to be reminded of how dangerous our tongues can be.  Last week we took a look at “The Argumentative Tongue."  I thought being that we are nearing election time this might be a good time to heed the warnings of this type of tongue. This is definitely a time when opinions run high and we have to be careful as believers not to offend or slander one another. If you didn’t have an opportunity to read that one, may I encourage you to do so before moving on today? This week I have been prompted to take another look at the “The Doubting Tongue.”

As a believer in Jesus Christ I understand that doubting is sin. However in my flesh I often find myself wrestling to embrace what I know. If I ever hope to tame my doubting tongue, I am going to have to learn to stand firmly on the promises of God’s Word. I also realize that knowing the promises of God will not be enough. I have to live like I believe them. Today, through this review, I am asking God to reveal to me what might be hindering my victory in this area. I think my answer is waiting in the following excerpt of Day 27, The Doubting Tongue. Be blessed.

Doubt - verb (used with object) – Dictonary.com
1. to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to       believe. 2. to distrust. 3. Archaic. to fear; be apprehensive about.

Day 27
The Doubting Tongue
By Deborah Smith Pegues

“Faith comes by hearing (Romans 10:17). The more we declare our unbelief, the more reinforced it becomes. The more we assert our confidence in a positive outcome, the more our faith increases. Because we will believe what we constantly hear, we must take personal responsibility for what we hear. We may have to limit – or eliminate – our contact with individuals who tend to express negativity about various outcomes, goals, or results we desire.

Often our words of doubt originate out of our tendency to act in self-confidence. Self-confidence is a concept touted by the world that tells us we must rely on our own skills and abilities. This is a direct contradiction to King Solomon’s warning, “He who trusts in himself is a fool” (Proverbs 28:26). When we face a challenge and quickly assess our own ability to conquer it, we will most likely come up short – and doubting. We must be on guard not to give our doubts substance by declaring them.

If the spirit of unbelief plagues you, I challenge you to get a good study Bible and to search the Scriptures for verses relating to your area of concern. Write down a passage, meditate on it often, and memorize it. I keep a template on my computer for typing Scriptures to fit a 5x7 picture frame.

I will select a passage that is relevant to a current problem. I cut it out, frame it, and keep it before me on my desk until I solidify it in my heart. When doubts arise, I nail them with the selected Word of God. This sounds simple but it is not easy. Some doubts die hard. We must be persistent in declaring our victory.

What are some things you find yourself speaking about in a doubtful way? Is it the fear of pursuing a career or task for which you feel inadequate? The hopelessness of forging an amicable relationship with a difficult person? The seemingly impossible task of getting into shape: Perhaps you have resorted to being a Doubting Thomas who would only believe what he could touch (see John 20:25).

God’s children are to live by faith – in God. We cannot afford to get stymied in the “sense of realm” of what we can see and feel. Our doubts can deter our destiny.

Our attitudes and conversations will change when we face the reality that apart from God we can do absolutely nothing. Decide today to skip the skepticism, doubt the doubts, and believe the best!”

I too believe it is important that we understand God’s definition of faith. Hebrews 11:1-2 indicates; “It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot see. God gave his approval to people in the days of old because of their faith.” I would encourage you to read Hebrews 11 in its entirety.

Life’s Application Commentary:
“The beginning point of faith is believing in God’s character: He is who He says He is. The end point is believing in God’s promises: He will do what he says He will do. When we believe that God will fulfill his promises even though we don’t see those promises materializing yet, we demonstrate true faith (see John 20:24-31).

Our faith is in the God who created the entire universe by his word. God’s Word has awesome power. When he speaks, do you listen and respond (obey)? How can you better prepare yourself to respond to God’s Word?”

Great questions! I would like to remind you that believing that God exists is only a part of our faith journey. In God’s Word we are told that even the demons believed that God existed (James 2:19, 20). What God wants from believers is more than mere acknowledgment that He is God. He wants a personal relationship with you. He wants to show you exactly who He is through His Word. Most importantly, He wants you to surrender to and obey what He teaches. I am tired of retaking these lessons. How about you? Do you want something better? Let’s go for it. 

AFFIRMATION: “Anything is possible for me if I believe. Therefore, I will declare my faith rather than discuss my doubts.” - Pegues

Additional Scripture ReadingJames 1:6, Proverbs 3:5-8, Matthew 21:21
Book Suggestion: Believing God by Beth Moore


In Christ by grace,
Pam












No comments: