Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, September 12, 2011

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: Sept. 12, 2011                              pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford


If you missed last week’s devotion on Discerning The Voice of God please go back and read it before moving on today. I promised I would pull it all together with an awesome reveal and I wouldn’t want you to miss the full impact of this lesson.

                                                   Psalm 119:10

             “Do not let me wander from your commandments.”  (NASB)


A DISTINCT VOICE – PART 2
When King David spoke the words in Psalm 119:10 he was placing the responsibility for staying in the will of God on God Himself. To conclude with the teaching by Priscilla Shirer from the book Discerning The Voice of God, the following are my remaining notes from Chapter 7, A Revealing Voice. Be blessed.

Notes:
“David says, “You, God – please don’t let me wander from your will!” Our responsibility is to get to know God. His is to keep us from wandering from His will for our lives.

Are you desperately seeking to know the will of God for your life? Are you in bondage because you can’t take a step in any direction without being afraid that you’ll wander from His will? If so, here is the truth that will set you free: It is God’s responsibility to cause you to hear and recognize His voice.”

Ok, I have to interject here. Did you hear that? Let’s just rest here a moment please.
“God’s responsibility to cause us to hear and recognize His voice.”  How does he do that?

Priscilla shares:
“God wants to reveal His will to you, and Scripture clearly shows that He will do it:

  • Proverbs 3:6 (NKJV) – “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

  • Philippians 3:15 (NASB) – “Let us therefore, as many as are perfect (mature) have this attitude and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you.”

  • Philippians 2:13 (NIV) – “It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.”

Listen to the words of the psalmist in Psalm 37:14 (NASB), “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Once again, we find God’s promise to steer our desires in the direction of His will if we will just get down to the business of delighting in Him.

Many of us suspect that God is doing everything in His power to keep us from discovering His will. On the contrary, He is doing everything in His power to reveal it and cause us to go after it!

If you keep seeking God, He will continue to develop your awareness of who He is and His will for you. As you study His Word, listen to His revealing voice. Ask yourself, “What does this teach me about the character of God?” Make knowing Him your goal. Seek a Person instead of a plan. Seek a relationship instead of a road map. The closer you get to God, the more He will reveal Himself to you, and the natural result of knowing Him better will be a greater ability to discern His voice.”

To this I say AMEN!

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT’S GOD’S VOICE?
“I know God is speaking when what I hear is consistent with what I know about Him. I remember a time when someone told me something my husband Keith said. It wasn’t negative. It just didn’t sound like him. I found out later it was a different Keith Moore. I knew deep inside that wasn’t my man. Likewise we can know deep inside, ‘That just isn’t my God.’ I’ve got to know God and His Word well enough to know what ‘sounds’ like Him and what doesn’t. He never speaks contrary to His Word and His character.”  - Beth Moore

How about you? Do you know it’s God’s Voice? I pray that together as we continue to explore God’s Word together through these weekly devotions, that God will reveal to you his personal attributes in order not to miss Him speaking.  I am listening El-Shaddai – All Sufficient God. I am thanking you for clarification Jehovah-Jireh – Our provider and I look forward to your continuous leading Jehovah-Rohi, Our Sheppard.


“Whoever seeks God as a means toward a desired ends will not find God. The mighty God, the maker of heaven and earth, will not be one of many treasures, not even the chief of all treasures. He will be all in all or He will be nothing.”  – A.W. Tozer          


No comments: