Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, August 8, 2011

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of: August 8, 2011                 pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford


                                             1 John 4:16b,17
"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgement, because in this world we are like him."                                        

TRUE LOVE
Doesn't it feel wonderful to be loved? As a wife and a mother I treasure the times when my husband and children do special things to show me just how much they love and appreciate how I care for them.  Although most of the time I love on them not expecting anything in return; I have to say that it really does mean a lot when you feel that love expressed back. I don’t think many of us can deny the desire to feel loved and appreciated by others. It might not surprise you then to learn that God desires to be loved and appreciated too.  How can we determine if we are giving Him true love?

John 14:21, NIV 
"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." 

It is important that we understand what the Bible teaches about the words written in red. These words are representative of Jesus’ instructions.  Read them over carefully and allow them to absorb within your heart as they will prove to be very important.

Some people say they “love God” but then their actions do not align with that love? I know this, because I've been one of them. I can remember professing my love of God especially on Sunday mornings, and by Sunday afternoon my actions clearly reflected something quite different.  Most of the time, my blindness to my own sin habits hindered the possibility of my love being authentic. Ok, maybe I didn’t break a great big commandment like “Do not murder” but my temper got the best of me and my tongue (my language, attitude) did not reflect love for anyone let alone God. And, when I discovered from the Word that there are no degrees of sin; sin is sin, I realized that my actions didn't always show God the kind of obedient love that He so deserves. I have not yet arrived, but today I am so unsettled when I grieve the Spirit of God that I desire to work at correcting the action He convicts me in sooner than later.                                                   

Loving God is also the key to loving others, even those who treat us unjust. This response is an outward expression of what we receive from God on a daily basis; unconditional, grace-filled love. I continue to be tested in this area even as I strike the keyboard today. I can tell you that staying connected to God's Spirit and obeying His Word is the only way I refrain from giving into my flesh. By taking the time to learn what God’s Word says we will be empowered to correct wrong thinking and actions.


With all due respect, I hate to break it to you - this life, it really isn't about us at all! It's about God and how He desires to use us in this messed up world to display who He is.  I know, I know that was a tough one for me too!

Additional Scripture Reading: 1 John 4 and 5. 

Today's prayer:
Dear Father, teach us how important it is to You that we express our love for You openly and genuinely. Your unconditional “agape” love is beyond our human comprehension, but we want to return love to You in the same manner we receive it. Give us the desire to be in Your presence daily so we may learn Your Word in order to obey and bring glory to You. Help us get to a place in our relationship where we can say “I love you” and it truly brings You great joy.  In Jesus’ name I pray,  Amen.

PS: Forgive me (us) Father for not always reflecting You to others. Change us from the inside out.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                  







No comments: