Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of June 20, 2011                                                       pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pastor Mark Mavar
ministry of Iglesia de la Gracia - Panama

LIFE BENEATH THE SURFACE
One morning I was returning home from my morning run and was crying out unto the Lord.  "Lord I want to see your hand move in the ministry here.  Lord I want to see your hand work in the lives of so-and-so and such-and-such.  Lord I want to see the marriages restored, people brought to repentance and lives changed.  Lord I want to see!  Lord, why is it that it seems that Satan is always winning?  Why can't we advance to the next level in our ministry?  Why does it appear that very few care?  Lord, do something to change it all. I want to see."

Then I came across a creek that I cross all the time.  But on this day it was very muddy.  It had rained the day before and the water had become rusty brown.  I stopped to observe.  The rusty brown water was moving oh so slowly.  There was debris pushed up upon the shore where the water level had crested; a large branch had hung up in the flow and had collected plastic bags; the high grass had been pushed down by the water flow.  The water pipe that crossed the creek was now submerged and invisible.  Mud residue was covering what was left of the shore.  I could not see anything beyond the surface of the water and the shore.  Nevertheless I knew that there was life beneath the surface.  I had previously caught sardines and river shrimp from this creek.  I had seen the the water swirl after a large fish was startled and swam off.  I had seen frogs jumping in when I had passed by before.  I KNEW that this creek had a whole eco-system below the surface of that rusty stained water, I just could not see it.

Then I thought "isn't that just the way that the Lord works"  Just because we can't see his hand moving, does not mean that He is not working in the lives of his people.  Then I was reminded of Isaiah 55:8,9
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

One never knows what the Lord is doing in the heart of man.  Just because I can't see results right now, does not mean that the Lord is not chipping off the dross from his people and even chipping it from me by showing me nothing but muddy water.  I am reminded that my responsibility is to be faithful in what the Lord has called me to do. 1 Corinthians 4:2  "Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful."

I am not required to see and give testimony to results, I am required to be faithful, to sew seeds of the Gospel, to preach the whole counsel of God, and to shepherd those whom the Lord has chosen to put into my path at this time, whether the water be muddy or clear.

Funny thing is the very next day, as I crossed over the creek, it was crystal clear.  I could see the  bottom, I could see the water pipe just like before.  The sardines and river shrimp were still there, the frogs and fish were all still there.  The fact that I could not see them before did not mean that they were gone.  God still preserved them in the midst of the muddy waters.
"For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."  Isaiah 55:10,11

Pastor Mark Mavar
Still fighting fire
Ephesians 6:12

No comments: