Statement of faith

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NIV)

"The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.
- Warren


Monday, June 13, 2011

Quiet-Time Reflections

Print
Week of June 13, 2011                         pmcrawford1@gmail.com
Sharing by: Pam Crawford

John 15:15
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know
 his master’s business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything
I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

A TREASURED FRIENDSHIP 
One of my all time favorite Christian songs is “I am a friend of God.” I love to sing this up-beat song that repeats the words “I am a friend of God, He calls me friend!”  These lyrics reflect biblical truth and they connect me with an excitement to God. 

John 15:15 tells us that we are more to Jesus than just simple
acquaintances.  I will tell you from personal experience, once you grasp this truth your relationship with God will move to a whole new level.  I battle keeping God first in my life and I’m sure some of you will be able to relate to this too. However, the Bible tells us that we should be looking to Jesus as our example. So what did Jesus do? Jesus sought out His Father before all things. He slipped away and got quiet and He consciously never allowed himself to disconnect because there was too much at stake.  

When I first read the following article I was convicted that maybe I didn’t really understand what” true friendship with Jesus” really requires.  I believe however that this teaching from Turning Point Ministries is something that should be shared.  I hope it shines some light on how important this particular friendship ought to be.  We have so much to gain as we determine to look at our friendship with Jesus as our most valuable asset.  From this, we can learn to work on and cherish our earthly friendships as true blessings from our Lord as we await His return. As you read this today, please know that you too have a friend in Jesus. 

Look Up in the Morning,
Friends of God
By Dr. David Jeremiah

Bertha Smith served the Lord in a bitterly cold part of China. During the day she wore thirty pounds of clothing, and at night she slept under heavy bedding with a hot water bottle. Her greatest challenge came in the early morning hours when she wanted to rise early so she could have her quiet time before the scores of interruptions that each day brought.  She would struggle in the darkness to put on her layers of clothing, and then break the ice to wash her face in the cold water; and she would slip out to a particular haystack where she would rake aside the frosted part of the hay, kneel down, and spend time with the Lord before the sun came up.

Shame on us when we neglect our morning devotions!  Most of us live in heated and air-conditioned homes, with padded slippers, hot showers, and plentiful breakfasts.

Psalm 5:3
My voice you shall hear in the morning, O Lord, in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.

There’s no better way to launch a new day than with the Lord through Bible study and prayer. Even Jesus himself rose a great while before daylight to slip to a nearby mountainside for prayer before the day’s work began (Mark 1:35).

Exodus 33:11
So the Lord spoke to Moses face-to-face, as a man speaks to his friend.

Prayer isn’t a ritual we keep, but a relationship we enjoy. It’s not just mouthing words or reviewing a list. It’s developing an awareness of the presence of the heavenly Father and talking to Him, face-to-face, as it were, like speaking with a friend. It’s practicing the words of that older song that says “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and grief’s to bear! What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!”

Try this simple experiment during your next prayer time. Visualize the Lord Jesus sitting across the table from you. He has assured us of His presence, and we know He is near at hand; so try talking aloud to Him just as the disciples spoke with Him by the campfires or along the pathways of Galilee. Pray conversationally, talking to the Lord as naturally as you speak to a friend.

All vexations and annoyances will be comparatively
unimportant while you know that you have such a Friend.
                                                                    -  St. Francis de Sales

TODAY IN THE WORD COMMENTARY:
We face many obstacles to presenting ourselves to Jesus.  External barriers of limited time, overextended schedules, and demanding relationships press against us.  Internal conditions, like pride and insecurity, are sometimes the greatest impediments to our pursuit of Jesus.

Failure to be disciplined to meet with Jesus keeps us away; skepticism and moral failure erect walls between us and Him.  Today, remember Christ’s faithfulness and power to heal.  Pray for faith to unroof the roof that separates you from Him.

Additional Scripture Readings:   Psalm 59:16-17, Mark 2:1-12, John 15:12-17

Today’s prayer:  Father I thank you that you call me friend.  Please continue to remind me of the importance of our friendship.  Provide me with the time, desire and opportunity to sit at Your feet daily to give You thanks, praise, and my prayers. Open up timeslots in my week for me to participate in Bible study in order to get to know you on a more personal level. I know that these are key elements to a fulfilled lifelong
friendship which is what I pray for today.  In Jesus' name I offer this prayer to You Lord.  Amen.



In Christ by grace,
Pam


                                                                                                                                                                  


No comments: